A Checkpoint Report is used by the team manager to report to the project manager. Information on the progress of the work done compared to the agreed team plan is also included in it. The project manager will agree on the frequency for these reports with the team manager when they are accepting the work package. The frequency of the Checkpoint Report is defined by the Project Manager in the Work Package. Therefore the Checkpoint Report is one of the main docuements used buy the Project Manager to monitor and control the project.
The Checkpoint Report is derived from the following:
- Work Packages which are created bu the project manager
- Team Plan which are created by the Team Managers
- Previous Checkpoint Reports as they may have highlighted a potenial issue.
Checkpoint Report format: The Checkpoint Report can have number of formats, including:
- Face to face updat to the Project Manager and with with other Team Managers present so they learn more about the project and the may be able to give feedback to each other.
- Presentation at a review meeting (physical meeting or conference call);
- Simple light document or email issued
- Entry in an online project management tool.
The following quality criteria should be observed:
- Prepared at the frequency required by the Project Manager (defined in the workpackage)
- It offers teh correct level of detail as required buy the Project Manager.
- The information is useful, objective and accurate (honest)
- Every product in the Work Package, for that specific period, is covered by the Checkpoint Report
- And it many includes an update on any unresolved issues from the previous report.
## Some tips from Frank Turley
- Keep the Checkpoint Reports as simple as possible
- Be product focused instead of task activity focused
- Share Checkpoints Reports with other Team Managers if possible
- The Project Management should make the necessary time to read and give feedback otherwise the quality of the information will fall.
- Contact me if you have any questions on using the a Checkpoint Report (frank @ mplaza.pm)