Other languages: ro Română
PRINCE2 Foundation is the first and basic level of PRINCE2 certification that confirms the overall understanding, familiarity with the PRINCE2 vocabulary and capability to work as a member of a project management team and it is therefore a good idea that all Project Stakeholders should have the opportunity to follow a PRINCE2 Foundation training.
The Foundation level is the first of the two PRINCE2 examinations you are required to pass to become a PRINCE2 Practitioner and the next certification is the PRINCE2 Practitioner. There are no requirements for taking the PRINCE2 Foundation exam. However, taking a standard PRINCE2 Training program such as an accredited eLearning course is recommended by AXELOS.
In order to pass you should be able to:
- Describe the purpose and major content of all major Roles (Executive, Project Manager, Senior User,..)
- Provide a basic overview of the seven Core Principles , the seven Themes and the seven Processes
- State which Management Products are inputs to, and outputs from the seven processes.
- State the main purpose, and key contents, of the major management products. (e.g.: Project Brief, Business Case, Product Description,.)
- State the relationships between processes, deliverables, roles and the management dimensions of a project. Use the PRINCE2 Process Model to help with this.
- Multiple choice (Choose A, B, C or D)
- 75 questions per paper
- 5 questions to be trial and not counted in scores
- 35 marks required to pass (out of 70 available) – 50%
- 1 hour duration (+15 minutes when taking the exam in a second language)
Taking the exam
- The Foundation exam can be taken at any Authorized Training Organization (ATO) or online
- This online exam option has been available since 2014 and is very popular
- Your computer webcam is used to monitor you during the exam
You can buy a voucher for the official PRINCE2 Foundation exam here, or from any other ATO.
You can familiarize yourself with the exam using the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam Simulator (free).
Candidates receive their electronic certificates as soon as their results are finalized (usually takes a few hours to a few days). Hard copy certifications are also available for an extra fee but most candidates now accept the electronics certifications.
Certificates are issued from the Examination Institutes , and therefore, they are different in formatting and presentation. However, all of them are approved by AXELOS.
Candidates can allow the Examination Institutes to publish their information. In that case, their name will be added to AXELOS’ successful candidates register. The Examination Institutes also have their own directories of certified candidates. This candidate register is public.
This certification does not expire and no renewal process is required.