Configuration Item Record
To provide a record of such information as the history, status, version and variant of each configuration item, and any details of important relationships between them.
Advice The Configuration Item Record is derived from the: Change Control Approach; Product breakdown structure; Stage Plan and Work Package; Quality Register, Issue Register and Risk Register. The set of Configuration Item Records for a project is often referred to as a configuration library.
The Configuration Item Records can take a number of formats, including: Document, spreadsheet or database; Entry in a project management tool.
The following quality criteria should be observed:
- The records reflect the status of the products accurately
- The records are kept together in a secure location
- Version numbers match the actual products
- Configuration Item Records show products’ version histories
- A process exists by which the Configuration Item Records are defined and updated.
The composition of a Configuration Item Record will be defined in the project’s Change Control Approach.