P3.express is a free, extremely simplified project management framework based on PRINCE2® and PMBOK® Guide that you can learn, and start using in your projects in just a few days.
Standing on the shoulders of giants: P3.express doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. It's primarily based on PRINCE2® and PMBOK® Guide, and benefits from other frameworks such as XP (eXtreme Programming), DSDM®, and Scrum.
- Down to Earth: P3.express is a down-to-earth method you can really use. The fundamental standards are invaluable, but too complex for normal projects that most people just can't use them.
- Fully Integrated: P3.express is a fully integrated package of methodology, practices, and tools. You don't need to worry about finding proper techniques for your project, or find out how you can use normal pieces of software such as Excel to handle PM activities; everything is ready for you.
- People-Oriented: P3.express recognizes that the primary problem in most projects is the human aspects, and therefore addresses them carefully, instead of limiting itself to a mechanical process.
- Creative Commons: P3.express is licensed under Creative Commons: it's free to learn, use, and teach. The framework is community based, and continuously uses the contributions of its members for improvement.
- 80/20: Perfect is the enemy of good-enough. P3.express tries to bring 80% of the perfect PM system by only 20% of the effort. If you aim for the perfect, you'll just give up.
- Multi-Purpose: P3.express is suitable for most small and medium size projects in a variety of industries. Basically, it's for normal projects most of us are dealing with daily.
- Extendable: P3.express uses a minimal core, with optional Addons that make certain parts (e.g. risk management) more advanced. There are also Themes that make is easier to use it in certain industries.
P3.express uses a simple Flow you see above. This Flow consists of 37 activities in 7 sections. This page is a quick overview of the Flow, and you can find more information about each activity by clicking on the activity nodes above, or the lists below.
P3.express is based on gradual planning, instead of upfront detailed planning:
- A high-level plan is created in the beginning (Preparation section of the Flow)
- Each month is planned in detail in the beginning of that month (Cycle Planning section of the Flow)
- The project is managed in monthly Cycles: We start each month by adding details to the existing plan (Cycle Planning section), and end by a few retrospective activities (Cycle Closing section). During the month, there are Weekly Activities for measuring the performance, recovering the deviations, and synchronizing.
- Daily Activities, mainly for managing RICs (Risks, Issues, and Change Requests).
Besides the cycles, there are three more sections in the flow: Preparation for starting up the project and creating the high-level plan, Closing for ending the project, and Post-Project for tracking the benefits of the project after it’s closed.
- A01 Appoint the Sponsor
- A02 Prepare the project summary
- A03 Appoint the Project Manager
- A04 Set up the PMIS
- A05 Appoint the rest of the team
- A06 Populate the PMIS
- A07 Select suppliers and agree on the Supplier PMs
- A08 Preparation Audit
- A09 Go/No-Go
- A10 Project kick-off
- A11 Focused Communication
- A12 Update the PMIS
- A13 Select suppliers and agree on the Supplier PMs
- A14 Go/No-Go
- A15 Cycle kick-off
- A16 Focused Communication
- A17 Measure and report performance
- A18 Manage deviations
- A19 Weekly kick-off
- A20 Weekly Audit
- A21 Focused Communication
- A22 Capture RICs
- A23 React to RICs, based on Delegation Limits
- A24 Accept completed products from the Team Leaders and Supplier PMs
- A28 Receive approval and hand over the product
- A29 Handover the Business Case to the responsible person
- A30 Evaluate the customer and team satisfaction
- A31 Closing Audit
- A32 Archive the PMIS
- A33 Celebrate and announce closure
- A34 Focused Communication
- A35 Check the Business Case and evaluate the benefits
- A36 Design additional activities if required
- A37 Focused Communication
<button class="mw-ui-button" disabled>.mw-ui-button</button>
PRINCE2® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.