PRINCE2® is a project management methodology, applicable to all types of projects. PRINCE2 provides the steps you need to take in your project, and normal responsibilities of the team members. It’s customizable, so you can tailor and use a simple version of it in small projects, and a complex version in large or sensitive projects. New Google Plus PRINCE2 2017 community
PRINCE2 Foundation Introduction
This video discusses the following:
- How a PRINCE2 project starts
- The trigger for each project
- Where project ideas come from
- Two main outputs of the starting up a project process
- The first Project Board decision
PRINCE2 in Practice - Using PRINCE2 -
This is the latest update of the PRINCE2 Sample Project. This free video course will show you how you can run a PRINCE2 project and you will see it is not as difficult as many people think. The main goal is to show you how easy it is to start using PRINCE2 and you can run a project using a minimum amount of information and documents.
New PRINCE2 extension for Trello
There is a PRINCE2 chrome extension for Trello: It is called "PRINCE2 for Trello" which makes it a lot easier to Trello to manage PRINCE2 projects. Here are some links:
Note: PRINCE2 is a simple extension for Trello: For larger projects, you can also look at more pro PRINCE2 project management platforms that provide a lot more functionality:
History and Ownership
- Main article: History of PRINCE2
PRINCE2 stands for the following: Projects in Controlled Environments, version 2
It belongs to AXELOS, a UK-based joint-venture, since 2013. Before that, PRINCE2 and other Best Practice Solutions belonged to OGC in the UK. Other organizations such as APMG, EXIN, and PeopleCert are Examination Institutes, responsible for taking the PRINCE2 exams in behalf of AXELOS.
PRINCE2 is a new version of a standard called PROMPT, which goes back to the mid-1970s.
There are two official manuals for PRINCE2:
- Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2: from the managing point of view (e.g. project manager)
- Directing Successful Projects with PRINCE2: from the executive point of view (e.g. project board)
You can find additional information regarding these manuals on the PRINCE2 PDF page.
The official manual states that the PRINCE2® method consists of 4 main parts, or Integrated Elements. These elements are:
- PRINCE2 Timeline Video
- Core Principles: guiding obligations and good practices. Each project should take into account the 7 principles below (in other words, best practices or good project characteristics). In fact, a good way to evaluate a project is to ask the extent to which it is following these 7 principles.
- Themes: aspects of project management that should be addressed continually. PRINCE2 provides a good overview of how to address each of these aspects.
- Processes: a step-wise progression through the project lifecycle. This component provides information regarding which activities that are carried out at every stage during the project and by whom. It also answers the question What products are to be created and when? The processes are the reason why most people favour PRINCE2® over the PMBok as they provide a path through the project and make it easier to understand.
- Tailoring: the way PRINCE2 should be customized for a project. Tailoring answers one of the most common questions of a Project Manager: How do I best apply PRINCE2 to my project or my environment? Nevertheless, tailoring is not very well covered in either the Foundation or the Practitioner Courses, and it's an area where most people have issues as you need to have both project management and PRINCE2® experience to tailor a project.
You can find more about the PRINCE2 content on the PRINCE2 methodology page.
PRINCE2 provides a set of "Management Products". They are explained in the themes and processes pages in this wiki. The following are simple templates for each Management Product:
- Benefits Review Plan Template
- Business Case Template
- Communication Management Strategy Template
- Configuration Management Strategy Template
- Plan Template (including Project Plan, Stage Plan, and Team Plan)
- Product Description Template
- Project Brief Template
- Project Initiation Documentation Template, aka PID
- Project Product Description Template
- Quality Management Strategy Template
- Risk Management Strategy Template
- Work Package Template
If you are interested in additional information on these templates, check out the article on PRINCE2 Templates.
Project management techniques are not part of PRINCE2; e.g. how to level resources.
For an overall understanding of how PRINCE2 works, check the article on Processes.
Certifications Projects IN Controlled Environments (PRINCE2®) is a process-based approach for project management that is recognized as an international standard. There are currently four certifications available for Prince2. For information regarding the methodology, the certifications type, as well as information about training courses and online exams, check out the article on PRINCE2 Certification.
- PRINCE2 webpage at AXELOS website
- PRINCE2 Manuals at AXELOS shop (you can also buy them from Amazon and other online stores)
- Find a training provider at AXELOS website
- Case Studies and White Papers at AXELOS website
Qualification pages at Examination Institutes:
- PRINCE2 Qualifications at APMG website
- PRINCE2 Qualifications at EXIN website
- PRINCE2 Qualifications at PeopleCert website
- PRINCE2 Awareness, One Step a Day, a free email course
- PRINCE2 Coach, ask your PRINCE2 questions
- PRINCE2, PRINCE2 General
- What is PRINCE2, How to explain what PRINCE2 is in less than 1 minute
- Dutch version of the PRINCE2 wiki
- French version of the PRINCE2 wiki
- German version of the PRINCE2 wiki
- Italian version of the PRINCE2 wiki
- Polish version of the PRINCE2 wiki
- Portuguese version of the PRINCE2 wiki
- Romanian version of the PRINCE2 wiki
- Russian version of the PRINCE2 wiki
- Serbian version of the PRINCE2 wiki
- Spanish version of the PRINCE2 wiki
- Turkish version of PRINCE2 wiki
‘PRINCE2® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.’