PRINCE2 is the number one project methodology certification and each month more than 5000 people take a PRINCE2 exam. As PRINCE2 has grown in popularity, more and more companies are providing classroom and online training and you can get a list of authorising training companies from this website. You will see a screen like the following where you can select your own country.
- 1 PRINCE2 Training: Two Levels
- 2 PRINCE2 Training options?
- 3 Benefits for Individuals of a PRINCE2 Certification
- 4 PRINCE2 Foundation Exam
- 5 PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam
PRINCE2 Training: Two Levels
- Entry level is PRINCE2 Foundation
- Advanced level is PRINCE2 Practitioner
PRINCE2 Training options?
- You can attend a classroom training or study online
- Use Google or above link to find to find a local PRINCE2 Classroom Training or Online Training
Benefits for Individuals of a PRINCE2 Certification
- Learn how to manage projects (Practitioner) or to participate (Foundation) in a project environment using the most internationally recognized project management method.
- Ensure that team members focus on the viability of the project in relation to its business case objectives (they understand the business reasons behind the project)
- Design the simplest of plans and reports to meet the needs of each level in the project team and Project Board, improving communication and control.
- Deal with perceived problems and issues and focus on the viability of the project throughout.
PRINCE2 Foundation Exam
Tips to find a good PRINCE2 Foundation Classroom Training
- Ask for a sample of the course material that will be provided during the training
- Check the slides provided are not just some text from the book that the trainer will read off.
- Ask for the pre-course reading before the course (this helps to align all candidates at the start of the course)
- Check the training manual provided (the official PRINCE2 manual is of little use to you for the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam)
- Ask what sample PRINCE2 project information is provided so you can see how PRINCE2 is used.
- Check out the trainers, see if there is any feedback on the website.
PRINCE2 Foundation Exam Passrate
You just need to get 50% of the questions right to pass the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam. Due to this 94% of people pass the exam which is very high so it easy to pass the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam. People who self study seem to have a higher pass rate than classroom training. This is mainly due to the style of some PRINCE2 trainers where they just use very basic slides and add little other information so the candidate is more confused about PRINCE2 after the classroom training and passing the exam is more guess work than anything else. There is a lot to cover in a PRINCE2 Foundation training and it is important for the candidate to have a good basic understanding of PRINCE2 and be able to link it with the information they have already experienced.
PRINCE2 Foundation Exam
- Multiple choice (Choose A, B, C or D)
- 75 questions per paper
- 5 questions to be trial and not counted in scores
- 35 marks required to pass (out of 70 available) – 50%
- 1 hour duration (extra time can be awarded if taking the language if another language)
PRINCE2 Foundation Online Course Checklist
When looking for a PRINCE2 Online course check that it act the following
- Good introduction pre-course to PRINCE2
- Manual/Book that is focused on the PRINCE2 Foundation Syllabus
- Video course that offers that just slides with some text
- At least 200 sample PRINCE2 Questions and Answers
- Online exam simulator so you can practice the foundation questions online
- Tips for the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam
PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam
PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam Introduction
This Practitioner level is aiming to measure whether a candidate could apply PRINCE2 to the running and managing of a non-complex project within an environment supporting PRINCE2. So the candidate needs to show that they can apply and tailor PRINCE2 to address the needs and problems of a given project scenario and a project scenario will be provided in the PRINCE2 exam.
Specifically the candidate should be able to:
- Produce detailed explanations of all principles, themes and processes and worked examples of all PRINCE2 products as they might be applied to address the particular circumstances of a given project scenario
- Show they understand the relationships between principles, themes and processes and PRINCE2 products and can apply this understanding
- Demonstrate that they understand the reasons behind the principles, themes and processes of PRINCE2, and that they understand the principles underpinning these elements
- Demonstrate their ability to tune PRINCE2 to different project circumstances.
Requirements to take the PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam
In order to take the PRINCE2 Practitioner exam you need to have at least one of the following certifications already:
- PRINCE2 Foundation
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
- IPMA Level A® (Certified Projects Director)
- IPMA Level B® (Certified Senior Project Manager)
- IPMA Level C® (Certified Project Manager)
- IPMA Level D® (Certified Project Management Associate)
PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam Format
- Objective testing
- 8 questions – 10 question items per question, each worth one mark
- 44 marks or more required to pass (out of 80 available) – 55%
- Two-and-a-half hours (150 minutes) duration
- Open book exam: Can use the official PRINCE2 manual only
PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam pass rate
You just need to get 55% to pass the PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam. The pass rate for the the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam is 94% but the pass rate for the PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam in less than 80%. The pass rate seem to be lower for people who follow the PRINCE2 combi course. The PRINCE2 combi course is normally 5 days and it is made up off: 1) 2.5 day PRINCE2 training, 2) 2 days practicing questions and 3) 0.5 days doing the PRINCE2 exams.
Tips for passing the PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam
- Do not follow a PRINCE2 combi training as this is to stressful. However the combi course is good when you you have lots of experience working with PRINCE2 project and your organisation is willing to pay and give you the time off and you are interested in getting bit certifications.
- Leave at least one month between the PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner Exams
- Browse over the PRINCE2 Sample Project to get an understanding of how the PRINCE2 management documents are used in a PRINCE2 project (Start with the FREE version)
- View the video: Your First PRINCE2 Project : This will give you a good understanding of how to use PRINCE2
- Understand the different type of questions: See the video PRINCE2 Practitioner question types
- Get familar with the structure of the PRINCE2 manual and label your PRINCE2 Manual so you can use it better during the Practitioner Exam
How the Sample PRINCE2 project can help you
- This Sample PRINCE2 Project documents a full PRINCE2 project and it will show you the following:
- Show how each PRINCE2 management document is used
- Show the relationship between the management documents
- Provides comments to give some background information.
- Provide a reference when creating management documents for your own project
- Helps to create your own sample PRINCE2 project using the same layout (we have already assisted some companies in doing this. Its a great way to share current knowledge and best practices with Project Managers)
- PRINCE2 Foundation online training course
- PRINCE2 Practitioner online training course
- PRINCE2 Agile online training course
Other PRINCE2 Links
- PRINCE2 Foundation Exam Simulator - FREE
- Email awareness courses (PRINCE2, PMP, Scrum, Agile)
- PRINCE2 online - Compare all PRINCE2 online Foundation courses
PeopleCert runs the PRINCE2 Foundation exam and PRINCE2 Practitioner exam for the accredited training organisations (ATO) and these can be provided in the classroom or online.
PRINCE2® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.’