PRINCE2 Foundation is the first and basic level of PRINCE2 certification that confirms the overall understanding, familiarity with the PRINCE2 vocabulary and capability to work as a member of a project management team and it is therefore a good idea that all Project Stakeholders should have the opportunity to follow a PRINCE2 Foundation training.
The Foundation level is the first of the two PRINCE2 examinations you are required to pass to become a PRINCE2 Practitioner and the next certification is the PRINCE2 Practitioner. The PRINCE2 Foundation exam is based on the 2009 edition of Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2. There are no requirements for taking the PRINCE2 Foundation exam. However, taking a PRINCE2 Training program is recommended by AXELOS.
In order to pass you should be able to:
- Describe the purpose and major content of all major roles (Executive, Project Manager, Senior User,..)
- Provide a basic overview of the seven principles, the seven themes and the seven processes.
- State which management products are input to, and output from the seven processes.
- State the main purpose, and key contents, of the major management products. (e.g.: Project Brief, Business Case, Product Description,.)
- State the relationships between processes, deliverables, roles and the management dimensions of a project. Use the PRINCE2 process model course to help with this.
- 1 PRINCE2 Foundation Exam
- 2 PRINCE2 Foundation Sample Exams
- 3 PRINCE2 Foundation Pre-course / Introduction
- 4 PRINCE2 Foundation Awareness Course (Email)
- 5 PRINCE2 Foundation Best Tips on behalf of the MPlaza team
- 6 Reference
PRINCE2 Foundation Exam
- Multiple choice (Choose A, B, C or D)
- 75 questions per paper
- 5 questions to be trial and not counted in scores
- 35 marks required to pass (out of 70 available) – 50%
- 1 hour duration
Taking the exam
- The Foundation exam can be taken at any Authorized Training Organization (ATO) or online
- This online exam option has been available since 2014 and is very popular
- Your computer webcam is used to monitor you during the exam
- See page: How does the Online Monitored Exam Works?
PRINCE2 Foundation Sample Exams
Each PRINCE2 Training company and online training course provides two exam PRINCE2 Foundation Papers MPLAZA also provides online PRINCE2 Foundation Exam Simulator which offers the equivalent of 6 PRINCE2 Exams (420 questions)
PRINCE2 Foundation Pre-course / Introduction
It is important to have some knowledge of a PRINCE2 project before attending a PRINCE2 Classroom Training or starting on Online PRINCE2 course. You should have a basic overview of PRINCE2.
This short PRINCE2 Pre-Course video:
- High level introduction to the PRINCE2 Process Model
- Shows relationship between processes and themes
- How a PRINCE2 projects starts and how it moves from one process to another
- When, where and by who the important documents are created
- Cover the role of the Project Manager and Project Board which includes the Executive
- How the Project Board control the project and how a typical project closes when the final product has been accpeted
The PRINC2 Foundation Pre-Course is available in the following formats:
- Video: This just takes 60 minutes and is the #1 PRINCE2 video on YouTube
- PDF: You can also read the same information in our PRINCE2 Introduction book
- MP3: Listen to this 1 hours course while driving to and from work
- Q&A: There are 75 questions and answers
PRINCE2 Foundation Awareness Course (Email)
This course is a new concept in learning and MPLAZA are the first to introduce this in the Project Management area. This concept is designed to fit into our busy daily schedule
You can read the emails on your computer or mobile phone in about 3 minutes a day. You can especially use your otherwise wasted time for this, such as travel time to work or back home.
Besides individuals who have planned to improve their knowledge and career, it’s also useful for managers who want to have a simple training program for their team members. After all, having a common language and basic understanding is important for the success of your project.
The course is completely free and you can sign up using the next form. It asks you for the confirmation and then the course starts.
PRINCE2 Foundation Exam – Time to Study
It can take your from 8 to 24 hours to prepare to learn PRINCE2 to the Foundation Syllabus and the time will depend on your experience and your exposure to PRINCE2
Tips for People who are completely new to Project Management and PRINCE2
We recommend that you start the PRINCE2 Pre-Course and take your time with this course listen to the audio version while driving to and from work and practice the Q&A (on paper or audio) This course will already get you 35% in the PRINCE2 Foundation exam, so you have just another 15% to get to pass (our goal is to make it easy to learn PRINCE2 and then as a result you will get > 75% in the exam)
Watch the PRINCE2 Timeline Video (20 minutes) as this gives another view of how a PRINCE2 project works.
If you have time – then follow the PRINCE2 Awareness course as this is very complimentary to the Pre-course. You are then ready to follow the normal PRINCE2 Foundation Training Course (classroom or online).
You can find out more information regarding the PRINCE2 Foundation certification by reading the article on the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam.
Tips for People who have a solid background on Project Management
- Watch the PRINCE2 Pre-course video at least once and you can listen to the PRINCE2 audio version a few times (1 hour)
- Watch the PRINCE2 Timeline Video (20 minutes)
- You are then ready to follow the normal PRINCE2 Foundation training course (classroom or online)
PRINCE2 Foundation Best Tips on behalf of the MPlaza team
- Use the PRINCE2 Foundation Workbook, this will guarantee that you get > 75% in the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam. (This is part of the online PRINCE2 course)
- Use the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam Simulator (Equivalent to 6 full Foundation practice exams). This product is part of the online PRINCE2 Foundation course
- Use our PRINCE2 Foundation Training Manual – this is by best manual to learn PRINCE2 and prepare for the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam. This product is part of the online PRINCE2 Foundation Course.
- PRINCE2 Foundation online training course
- PRINCE2 Practitioner online training course
- PRINCE2 Agile online training course
Other PRINCE2 Links
- PRINCE2 Foundation Exam Simulator - FREE
- Email awareness courses (PRINCE2, PMP, Scrum, Agile)
- PRINCE2 online - Compare all PRINCE2 online Foundation courses
PeopleCert runs the PRINCE2 Foundation exam and PRINCE2 Practitioner exam for the accredited training organisations (ATO) and these can be provided in the classroom or online.
PRINCE2® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.’