There are two certifications available for PRINCE2:
PRINCE2 Certification: Foundation
The purpose of the PRINCE2 foundation level is to provide the necessary knowledge and understanding of the PRINCE2 method needed to be able to work effectively with, or as a member of, a project management team working within an environment supporting PRINCE2. It is best to have some experience working in a PRINCE2 project team before going for the next PRINCE2 Certification. The foundation level is also a pre-requisite for the Practitioner certification.
- Multiple choice (choose A,B, C,D)
- 75 questions per paper (5 test questions)
- 5 questions to be trial and not counted in scores
- 35 marks required to pass (out of 70 available) – 50%
- 60 minutes duration
- Closed book
Study tips for preparing for the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam
There are multiple options available in preparing for the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam, depending on the amount of time you have available and your learning style.
- Classroom Training: There are many companies to choose from, as a simple search on Google will show you
- Online Training: Similarly, there are many AXELOS accredited providers.
Regardless of the method you choose, the MPlaza team has a few suggestions that may help you prepare for the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam:
- Start with the PRINCE2 Timeline video. This is a 18 minute video that will give you a high level overview of a PRINCE2 project and is good first step to start with the study. You can watch this a few times if you like.
- Follow MPlaza's PRINCE2 Introduction Course.
This 1 hour PRINCE2 Pre-Course offers a high level introduction to the PRINCE2, so you see how a PRINCE2 project works and the relationship between the different processes. You will also see when, where and by who the important project documents are created (e.g. Business Case), the role of the Project Manager and the Executive which are the two main roles in a PRINCE2 project, how the Project Board control the project using stages, reports and something called tolerance3)
- Follow a Classroom or Online Training. Furthermore, if you are interested in an online course, see below what is unique about our Online PRINCE2 Foundation Training
- Use the PRINCE2 Foundation Workbook. This Q&A workbook makes sure that you know the main points for each chapter and you will get more than 75% in the PRINCE2 Foundation exam5)
- Use an Exam Simulator. Again there are number to choose from (see Google). Nevertheless, this is Mplaza's PRINCE2 Exam Simulator (free with the Online course).
- Browse over these diagrams
- [Timeline-ProductMap2014.png PRINCE2 Timeline & Product Diagram]
- PRINCE2 Product Map Diagram
What is unique about this PRINCE2 Certification Foundation Training?
- Provides the best available Introduction course to PRINCE2: Available in Video, Audio & PDF formats
- Course uses examples to help explain new topics (much easier to understand)
- Only course to include a PRINCE2 Foundation Training Manual
- Only course to include a PRINCE2 Foundation Q&A Workbook (guarantee 75% in exam)
- Only course that provides an Audio 320 Question & Answer course (Foundation syllabus)
- Only course that offers an extra 250 sample Foundation exam questions
- Only course to include sample project documents (this is an important aid to help your understanding)
- Most people still use our training material after the exam to support their Project Management career
- Focus is on learning PRINCE2 rather than just passing the exam
- Only course to offer our FREE PRINCE2 Sample Project (a documented PRINCE2 project)
- Only course that achieves higher average exams results than classroom training
- Offer a Pass Guarantee or we pay for a new exam
- Offer email support while you are studying PRINCE2 with our certified PRINCE2 trainers
PRINCE2 Certification Practitioner
The purpose of the practitioner level is to confirm you have achieved sufficient understanding of how to apply and tailor PRINCE2 in a scenario situation.
Exam Format Objective testing 8 questions – 10 question items per question, each worth one mark 44 marks or more required to pass (out of 80 available) – 55% Two-and-a-half hours (150 minutes) duration Open book exam: Can use the official PRINCE2 manual only.
Study tips for preparing for the PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam
- Use the PRINCE2 Timeline and PRINCE2 Process Model videos if you have not already done this
- Choose your PRINCE2 Certification Manual:
- The PRINCE2 Practitioner Training Manual from mplaza
- The PRINCE2 Practitioner Training Audiobook from mplaza
- The official PRINCE2 book from Axelos
- Practice questions on each chapter using MPlaza's Learn Thru Questions
- There are > 500 Q&A
- These are available in PDF and Audio formats
- Learn the structure of the official PRINCE2 Manual
- This is important as you can use this manual in the exam
- With the proper tips on how use the manual in the exam, which certified trainers such as those from MPlaza can prove, you can increase your results by another 8 to 10% in the exam
- Read over the PRINCE2 Sample Project. This will show you how the Management Products (PRINCE2 documents) are used in a project.
- This is important as many questions are based on these documents
- Look at this video on PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam tips
- Practice the Practitioner Exams
Most PRINCE2 Training companies offer two sample exams. An exception is MPlaza, which provides four sample exams which will help make sure you are ready for the exam.
What is unique about MPlaza's PRINCE2 Practitioner Online Course?
- Offer a PRINCE2 Practitioner Training Manual: After reading this, you will find it much easier to read the official PRINCE2 manual
- Full PRINCE2 Audio Course (listen while driving, walking, cycling)
- Extra Exam Papers (2 APMG + 2 Extra)
- Practical exercises based on a sample project
- Tips on how to use the official PRINCE2 manual during the exam
- Learn Thru Questions Audio Course (>500 Q&A)
- You can use the training material after the exam to support your PM career
Benefits for Individuals of a PRINCE2 Certification
- Learn how to manage projects (Practitioner) or to participate (Foundation) in a project environment using the most internationally recognized project management method.
- Ensure that team members focus on the viability of the project in relation to its business case objectives (they understand the business reasons behind the project)
- Design the simplest of plans and reports to meet the needs of each level in the project team and Project Board, improving communication and control.
- Deal with perceived problems and issues and focus on the viability of the project throughout.
Benefits of obtaining a PRINCE2 Certification for Organizations
Organisations can have a shared understanding (common language) and approach to reporting which will save time and effort. Improved staff awareness of their roles and responsibilities (accountability) in the project Stakeholder Engagement: Ensure stakeholders (including sponsors and resource providers) are properly represented in planning and decision-making and are kept up to date on the progress of the project and expected benefits compare to investments. Enable more effective engagement of stakeholders in the process of project approval and management.
Other information for the PRINCE2 Certification Exams
- PRINCE2 Foundation Exam: None
- PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam: PRINCE2 Foundation or PMP
- Main publications for PRINCE2 Foundation Certification
- The PRINCE2 Foundation Training Manual by mplaza
- The official PRINCE2 manual is a reference manual and it should not be used to learn PRINCE2 and prepare for the Foundation Exam
- Main publications for PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification
- Use the official PRINCE2 manual as this covers the complete PRINCE2 Practitioner Syllabus and you can also refer to the official PRINCE2 Manual in the Exam
- Take your time to learn PRINCE2 and prepare for the Foundation exam
- A normal PRINCE2 certification classroom training is 2.5 days
- Online training can take from 8 to 24 hours depending on your experience
- Take your time to learn PRINCE2 and prepare for the Practitioner exam
- A normal PRINCE2 classroom training is 2.5 days
- Online training can take from 12 to 32 hours depending on your experience
- Receive your PRINCE2 Certification: You will receive the certification with 2 weeks
- Exam Location
You can take your exam online from your home or office: See this link for more information If you follow classroom training your training provider will also provide a paper-based exam at their location
- Free 2 hour PRINCE2 2017 introduction course
- PRINCE2 2017 Foundation Exam
- PRINCE2 online - Compare all PRINCE2 online Foundation courses
PeopleCert runs the PRINCE2 Foundation exam and PRINCE2 Practitioner exam for the accredited training organisations (ATO) and these can be provided in the classroom or online.
PRINCE2® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.’