Lessons Log Template
Download Lessons Log Template
The Lessons Log is a project repository for lessons that apply to this project or future projects. Some lessons may originate from other projects and should be captured on the Lessons Log for input to the project’s strategies and plans. Some lessons may originate from within the project - where new experience (both good and bad) can be passed on to others via a Lessons Report.
- Lessons Reports from other projects
- Project mandate or Project Brief
- Daily Log, Issue Register, Quality Register and Risk Register
- Checkpoint Reports and Highlight Reports
- Completed Work Packages
- Stage Plans with actuals
- Observation and experience of the project’s processes.
Format and Presentation: A Lessons Log can take a number of formats, including:
- Document, spreadsheet or database
- Stand*alone log or a carry forward in progress review minutes
- Entry in a project management tool
- Part of an integrated project register for all risks, actions, decisions, assumptions, issues, lessons etc.
- The status indicates whether action has been taken
- Lessons are uniquely identified, including to which product they refer
- A process is defined by which the Lessons Log is to be updated
- Access to the Lessons Log is controlled
- The Lessons Log is kept in a safe place.
|Lesson Type||Lesson Detail||Date Logged||Logged By||Priority|
|Event||Effect||Causes/Trigger||Early Warnings?||Recommendations||Previously Identified?|
- Defines the type of lesson being recorded: Project - to be applied to this project; Corporate or programme - to be passed on to the corporate or programme management; Both project and corporate or programme management
- The date on which the lesson was originally logged
- The name of the person or team who raised the lesson
- In terms of the project’s chosen categories
- (e.g. positive/negative financial impact)
- Were there were any early warning indicators
- Whether it was previously identified as a risk (threat or opportunity)