How to become a PRINCE2 trainer
Here are the steps to follow to become a PRINCE2 Trainer:
- Pass the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam
- Pass the PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam
- Find an existing PRINCE2 ATO (Authorized Training Organization) to sponsor you
- Give a PRINCE2 Foundation course with support from an existing trainer
- Click here to see PRINCE2 Training and Workshop content
- Then you can request to be a PRINCE2 Trainer
If you need help, then you can contact Frank (frank @ ptcoe.org), he will be glad to help you.
Step 1: Pass the PRINCE2 Foundation Exam
This is the normal first step, however, you can skip to the PRINCE2 Practitioner Exams if you have any of the following certifications
- Project Management Professional (PMP)*
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)*
- IPMA Level A, B, C or D
Step 2: Pass the PRINCE2 Practitioner Exam
- You need a score of greater than 66%, so make sure you don’t have to take the exam a second time to do this.
- It is best to have read the manual at least once cover to cover
- Also do as many scenario exercises as possible so you get into thinking like a PRINCE2 project manager.
Step 3: Find an existing PRINCE2 ATO to sponsor you
- You can find a list of ATOs on the PeopleCert or AXELOS sites or you can also contact: email@example.com
- PeopleCert: Click https://www.peoplecert.org/ways-to-get-certified/offline
- Select your country (top right of the screen)
- AXELOS: Click: https://partners.axelos.com/clear-partner-search
Step 4: Fill in PeopleCert PRINCD2 Training Application form
- Ask the sponsor ATO to help you
- Click here: Click here to download form
Step 5: Give a PRINCE2 Foundation course with an existing trainer
- An existing trainer will allow you to give part of a PRINCE2 Foundation training
- This training can be recorded (video) and submitted to PeopleCert
- This video should show that you:
- Know and understand PRINCE2
- Can teach PRINCE2
- Can interact with students
Tip: Request the following from the ATO to make it easy for you.
- Classroom Slides
- Speakers notes for each slide
- Online PRINCE2 foundation course with text
MPLAZA.pm provides the above information to each trainer.
Step 5: Request to be a PRINCE2 Trainer
- The ATO will apply to PeopleCert for you to become a PRINCE2 trainer
- Normally the ATO will charge between £500 to £1000 (€600-€1,200) to become a trainer.
- This is just a once off payment (not each year)
- The ATO will normally charge a fee of £100, €120 to keep the trainer active with PeopleCert
- PeopleCert will also do a telephone interview to check your PRINCE2 knowledge and here some tips for the interview:
- Be calm
- Have your slides in front you with labels for each chapter
- Have the manual in front of you and labelled
That is it, you then become a PRINCE2 trainer and you can start offering PRINCE2 training and you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or any ATO.
Train the PRINCE2 trainer
Some ATO's offer this Train the Trainer program but be careful about what you are charge for this. The aim of this training program is to help you develop and refine your PRINCE2 training skills. This PRINCE2 Training program may include giving presentations to existing trainers; conducting training sessions for delegates with other trainers; familiarising yourself with course materials and discussions with existing trainers about how to improve your training style, and so on. Such activities are designed to prepare you for a formal assessment by PeopleCert, during which you should show that you have the ability to give PRINCE2 courses. Based on how well you do, the assessor will decide whether or not to recommend that you are awarded Approved PRINCE2 Trainer certification.
Approved PRINCE2 Trainer for 3 years
If you pass the assessment, you will be certified as an Approved PRINCE2 Trainer for 3 years. Before the end of the certification period, you will be re-assessed in order to check whether or not you continue to conform to the standards expected of an Approved PRINCE2 Trainer. So it is good to show that you are teaching, coaching or practicing PRINCE2.
PeopleCert runs the PRINCE2 Foundation exam and PRINCE2 Practitioner exam for the accredited training organisations (ATO) and these can be provided in the classroom or online.
PRINCE2® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.