Configuration Item Record Template
You don’t need a template for Configuration Item Records! Instead. We have created a Configuration Management Approach! You can download it in Microsoft Word format below, and make sure you’ll read the explanation in this page.
Download the Configuration Management Approach Template - MS Word Template
To provide a record of such information as the history, status, version and variant of each configuration item, and any details of important relationships between them.
Advice The Configuration Item Record is derived from the: Configuration Management Strategy; Product breakdown structure; Stage Plan and Work Package; Quality Register, Issue Register and Risk Register. The set of Configuration Item Records for a project is often referred to as a configuration library.
The Configuration Item Records can take a number of formats, including: Document, spreadsheet or database; Entry in a project management tool.
The following quality criteria should be observed:
- The records reflect the status of the products accurately
- The records are kept together in a secure location
- Version numbers match the actual products
- Configuration Item Records show products’ version histories
- A process exists by which the Configuration Item Records are defined and updated.
Note: Here follows a suggested list of components for each Configuration Item Record. The composition of a Configuration Item Record will be defined in the project’s Configuration Management Strategy so please check to see if the default list recommended here has been altered.
|Project identifier||Item identifier||Current version|
(The description of the item (for a product this should be as it appears in the product breakdown structure))
|Date of last Status Change|
|Copy Holders |
|Date Allocated to the producer|
|Relationship with other items|
- PRINCE2 Foundation online training course
- PRINCE2 Practitioner online training course
- PRINCE2 Agile online training course
Other PRINCE2 Links
- PRINCE2 Foundation Exam Simulator
- Email awareness courses (PRINCE2, PMP, Scrum, Agile)
- PRINCE2 online - Compare all PRINCE2 online Foundation courses
- A unique reference
- It will typically be a numeric or alpha-numeric value
- Typically an alpha-numeric value
- The person or group who will take ownership of the product when it is handed over.
- Where the item is stored
- (if relevant), who currently has the product?
- Component, product, release (see section 9.2.2 of the manual)
- As defined by the Configuration Management Strategy. These are used to specify a subset of products when producing a Product Status Account, such as the management stage in which the product is created, the type of product (e.g. hardware/ software), product destination etc.
- When the product will be developed
- The person or group who will use the item
- As defined by the Configuration Management Strategy, e.g. pending development, in development, in review, approved or handed over
- (if used) As defined by the Product Description, e.g. dismantled machinery, moved machinery, reassembled machinery (see section 220.127.116.11 of the manual)
- (if used) for example, language variants
- The person or team responsible for creating or obtaining the item
- For example, in house, or purchased from a third-party company
- Those items that: Would be affected if this item changed; or if changed, would affect this item
- Issues and risks; or documentation that defines requirements, design, build, production and verification for the item (specifically this will include the Product Description)